7 Top Skills Employers should look at when hiring mobile app developersAs more and more companies are shifting towards Android and iOS mobile apps and trends for mobile app increases in 2017. The demand for top skilled mobile app developer will continue to grow as well. This only means that more and more people will take mobile app development as a career. The onus lies on the party paying for app development services i.e. the client. So its important that a methodical vetting process is adapted when hiring mobile app developers. These are top skills needed to be carefully discussed and gauged before selecting the app development company for your next mobile app.
1. Strong Work EthicsNo. Its not okay if your developer sometimes sends you updates and sometimes does not. You as a client should make it clear from day one that regular work updates, even daily updates are expected as part of the development contract. The app developer should have a strong adherence to best programming practices. Qualities like
- Staying online and responsiveness
- Follow the plan
- Code backups
- Ask Intelligent questions
2. Top Rated App Development CompanyResearch the app development company and its background. If possible talk to a few clients. Most app development companies will happily give client references to follow up that you can talk about their experience. Check for an accreditation such as ISO, CMMi and awards in relevant agencies. Such agencies already have top skills in a lock where they strongly adhere to principles of software engineering and mobile engineering. So, if budget allows, go with an App agency instead of freelancer.
3. Eager for ApprovalAll good web and mobile developers are eager to show case their work and get approval from clients and general public. Programming is an art and your developer should understand this. The program code should speak for itself. The cultured appraoch, the finesse, the style should show from the code.
5. Cross-Platform ApproachTime to market (TTM) is important as software concepts have a very little relevant life and you have make sure that you can catch the social, political, economic wave that you made you start the app project. In such case, you may choose to make the app in a technology that is cross platform. For that you may choose hybrid mobile app development approach such as Xamarin, Iconic or Phonegap. However, these apps are crude in their experience and don’t rate very high. When going for a long term investment, always go with native mobile app development company.
6. Be Agile ReadyWhen working with apps, no one has the time to plan for 6 months before going to development. Always go with smaller development cycles using Agile methodology. So your IT agency should be well-versed with using Agile in their development. Work with sprints, kanban, points and standups. For such a company, its important that you work with your project manager to setup timelines and agree on deliverables on those timelines. That will help your app developer very much as she will know what to expect from you in terms of feedback and plan accordingly. You should read up a bit on Agile methodology.
Photo credit: ibmphoto24 @ flickr.com]